If you need a reliable, lightweight and highly portable monitor for your MacBook Pro, then look no further! We’ve rounded up the top 7 best portable monitors for MacBook Pro in 2023, complete with HD resolution, built-in ports, and sleek design.
You just bought a MacBook Pro with a fancy touch bar, and now you want that extra monitor to expand your screen real estate while you travel. Apart from being extra lightweight and compact, it requires very minimal mounting, and the setup is no rocket science as well. If you are someone who travels around for fun or work, having an extra IPS screen is the best solution to your problems.
In case you are wondering, this accessory has proven to be useful. You will find monitors coming from big brands and lesser-known brands in the market. There is a wide variety out there that ranges from monitors having 1080p resolution to 4k super-sharp displays. Some are heavier and feature-packed, while others are lightweight and compact. There are endless options to choose from. Picking the right second screen monitor to cater to your needs turns out to be mind-boggling. Like how can you pick just one when they are all so good?
That is where we come in. We have listed down the best travel monitors for MacBook Pro. Whether you need it for your homework, for graphic design, or for editing your travel vlog, we have picked the ones that fit exactly your desires. Speaking of travel, do check out our blog to know about the destinations you can explore all over the world. Scroll down to know more about the best travel monitors for Macbook Pro we pick out for you.
The Best Portable Monitors for MacBook Pro in 2023
[amazon bestseller=”Portable Travel Monitors For MacBook Pro” items=”10″ template=”table” ]
Asus ZenScreen MB16AC 15.6”
The Asus ZenScreen MB16AC is the best bet you can find in the market. The ZenScreen uses the DisplayLink/DisplayPort technology that serves as an extra portable display to make you more productive.
We won’t tell you that the portable monitor 15.6-inch IPS”, 1080p ZenScreen is all bright and vivid because it’s not. However, the specifications are enough to suffice the use of a second portable monitor. Being a larger sized monitor means you can work on it without feeling restricted by the size of a typical best portable screen. The brightness of the screen is measured at 179.6 nits and covers 72.4 percent of the sRGB color gamut having a Delta-E color accuracy score of 0.2 making it to be one of the best portable monitors in 2023.
The Asus ZenScreen is an award-winning design measured at dimensions of 8.9 x 0.3 x 14.2 inches and is weighed 1.7 pounds. The minimal bezels around the viewing area are way more attractive than the traditional thicker ones seen on laptops. The monitor is compatible with a USB C port and Type-A, in case your MacBook Pro does not support the HDMI slot or you do not own an HDMI cable, that should be the least of your concerns with the Asus ZenScreen.
Just so you know the Asus ZenScreen comes in with a smart case cover and a smart pen that is inserted in a hole made in the screen that helps in the landscape and portrait orientation. The Asus Eyecare technology has the TUV Rheinland-certified flicker-free backlight and the blue light filter is installed to minimize eye fatigue even if you have to work for four hours continuously. No more worrying about your eyes or losing your eyesight, your eyes are in safe hands with this best budget portable monitor.
The price of the Asus ZenScreen MB16AC is $236.99 which is a tough one considering what you get for the price when you compare it with the rest of the best travel monitors for MacBook Pro.
- The portable monitor has a slim and sleek design and is lightweight, and easy to carry around on your travels.
- The image quality, which has a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 is decent, it feels better when compared to other FHD portable monitors being offered in the market.
- It has a USB c connection which makes it future proof and more compatible with various devices.
- It is lightweight and easy to carry around, plus it covers small desk space, therefore, a great option for frequent travelers.
- The viewing experience is comfortable due to the blue light filter, image quality, battery life, and anti-flickering screen technology, which is perfect for gaming.
- On the downside, this thin portable monitor is expensive, and not affordable for everyone in the market.
- The brightness of the screen goes up to 180 nits, which is pretty low for such a screen when compared to other models of portable monitors.
[amazon box=”B071S84ZW7″ template=”vertical”]
WiMAXIT 13.3” HDMI Ultra-Thin Monitor
The WiMAXIT 13.3-inch Ultra Thin portable monitor is the perfect extra screen for travelers. unlike hp elite display s14 wimaxit 13.3 is made with anodized aluminum housing and the body itself is lightweight and slim. It offers connection via USB c ports with Thunderbolt 3.0 support for powering itself from mobile phones and laptops etc. The display is HDR compatible and comes with built-in speakers and which is a great combo for people who are high-content consumers.
This monitor is well-packed with ports to give you the best versatility as it comes with 2 HDMI ports, one headphone jack, and one USB 3.0 to OTG port through which you can easily connect your mouse and keyboards anytime you like. It has a decent viewing angle along with an FHD display with an output of 1920x1080p which provides great contrast and vibrancy to the content being viewed. The colors and contrast are crisp and provide a pleasant viewing experience.
At 1.92 pounds and about 0.47 inches in thickness, it is easily portable as compared to other monitors out there. It is made up of metal which gives it an edge over others for being durable as it can withstand a tougher hit which other plastic-built portable monitors cannot.
The price of the WiMaxIt is $159.99 which is a great value for money.
- Metal construction gives it added durability and strength which means it can last longer.
- A lag-free experience and fast response time make working on the portable monitor easy.
- The price to performance ratio is tough to beat because of its wide application including gaming.
- It takes 2 cable cords to connect it to a MacBook Pro.
- The connection ports can be a bit loose or wobbly at times.
- Although it is a compact machine, the weight is slightly heavier as opposed to its competitors.
[amazon box=”B07VXNN2D3″ template=”vertical”]
Mobile Pixels Duex Pro Portable Monitor
The Mobile Pixels Duex Pro Portable monitor is one of the most advanced and practical ones out there. It boasts a 12.5-inch display compact screen with a 1920x 1080 resolution and a brightness of 300 nits. It comes with a unique option of a Dual-Sliding screen with which you can slide your portable monitor to either side of your laptop screen. You can even flex your portable monitor up to 270 Degrees for displaying your work to others and also rotate it 180 degrees for bringing it into presentation mode.
The monitor itself is made from industrial grade sturdy material and weighs about 1. 6 pounds and is 0.48 inches thick which is ideal for carrying it with you wherever you go. The tough material choice means that it is more durable and can withstand the occasional bumps and hits which a normal plastic portable monitor won’t be able to handle at all. It comes with an adhesive with which it can be stuck on top of your laptop for ease of y use. The viewing angle on this portable monitor is also great avoiding strain to the eyes and neck. The price of the Duex Pro Monitor is 289.99 USD.
- Can be attached to a laptop via an adhesive for better portability.
- The option to flex the monitor up to 270 Degrees allows for it to view content to others sitting down across the table making it a good choice for presentations.
- The dual-sliding feature makes it convenient to use at any place you want especially in limited spaces.
- It is pricey compared to the other best portable monitors.
- The screen when extended can sag a bit due to its weight.
- The long-term durability of the hinge might be a bit questionable.
[amazon box=”B07V465K93″ template=”vertical”]
C-force 15.6” 1080p USB-C Portable Display
The C-Force Portable monitor is another option that provides good value for money. This 15.6-inch IPS display has an FHD resolution with an LCD panel. The 1080 resolution display outputs vibrant colors that are accurate and good enough to enjoy a decent quality output whether it’s your daily workload or gaming. The panel has built-in dual stereo speakers which output a crystal clear sound quality for content consumption on the go.
At 1.7 pounds and 0.5 inches of thickness, it is fairly easy to carry it along with you. The display provides a lag-free experience and connects seamlessly with external sources via the USB-C port. If you are skeptical about trying it out then it comes with a warranty period.
The C-Force first portable monitor costs USD 179.99 which make it a solid consideration in the market.
- You will get a year of free warranty and also the option to return the device within 30 days of purchase if you are not satisfied with the product.
- Can be powered by a MacBook Pro directly without needing an external power supply.
- It is not too heavy and can be taken along with ease.
- The price is competitive as it offers decent specifications for the money.
- The built quality of the screen is plastic so it is less durable and might get damaged when compared to rivals with metallic builds.
- The dual speakers’ sound quality is not up to the mark and can be improved a bit.
[amazon box=”B0811NLRXX” template=”vertical”]
AOC e1659Fwu 15.6” Ultra Slim
If you are opting for an affordable best portable monitor for Macbook Pro yet do not want to compromise on the specifications, the AOC e1659 Fwu is the one for you. This version of the AOC design is way more glossy and beautiful than the previous one, you can hardly take your eyes off of it.
The start-up of this monitor is quick and simple, all you have to do is connect the USB cable to the monitor, and viola, it on. No need for any further power supplies or media cables. You can use the USB cable to transfer your data as well as for the power supply.
The AOC e 1659 comes in with an easy to install portable stand that can be used to view it from the angles you are most comfortable with. Use the auto rotation mode to shift from portrait or landscape. The design is lightweight making it easy to carry around.
With the USB 3.0 port, the monitor requires a bare minimal power for it to start and perform its functions. The AOC e1659 comes with a Sound Service 30 days money-back guarantee and a 1.5-year quality assurance. Wait it gets better, a company is happy to accept the replaced or returned product.
The price for the AOC e1659Fwu is $99.99. This is one of the cheapest portable monitors you can get. Period.
- The monitor uses minimum power to start.
- It is user-friendly with a soft touch screen.
- You can adjust the colors as per your desire.
- The design is ultra-slim and lightweight.
- The monitor has a quality display with pixel control.
- It provides one of the best values for money.
- The built-in speakers are small in size and the sound quality is okay at best.
- The real-life quality of the product is fragile and it might not be able to last long.
[amazon box=”B00CMKOVMO” template=”vertical”]
Lenovo ThinkVision M14 14”
Over the years Lenovo has made a mark by creating diversity in the tech market with its unbeatable mindblowing products. As you can see, a travel monitor is one of their specialties as well.
The Lenovo ThinkVision LT1421 has that widescreen display that any tech master would crave for. Imagine editing or viewing all your travel pictures and vlog on a wide screen space. The Lenovo ThinkVision stretches to 14 inches and weighs just 1.3 pounds, a perfect travel companion for all travelers. If you are a multitasker, you know now which one of the second monitor to pick.
The monitor supports a USB cable, making it easier to connect. The monitor comes with a stand for you to adjust it as per your desires. You can tilt it and pick the brightness from the built-in 26 levels.
The Lenovo ThinkVision is slim in design with 0.37 inches of thickness and lightweight as well. If you are wondering about the resolution, for a 14-inch screen a resolution of 1920 x 1080 IPS display will do you justice. The monitor also comes in with a protective case that you can easily convert into a base stand for your monitor.
The price of the Lenovo ThinkVision M14 is $225.99 which puts in the pricier side of the league but offers a decent spec-list for the price being charged.
- The monitor uses a USB cable for it to turn on.
- It comes with a sturdy kickstand that allows you to place the monitor with ease.
- The monitor is slim and lightweight, easy to carry around.
- The setup of the portable monitor is easy as 1, 2, and 3.
- Consist of the Low Blue Light Technology, Kensington lock slot.
- No compromise on the quality when you hear the name Lenovo.
- The cover is hard to remove at times.
- It has a weak grayscale performance.
- The price is a tad bit on the higher side.
[amazon box=”B07YX5NKK2″ template=”vertical”]
VIOTEK LinQ 16” Portable Monitor
The VIOTEK LinQ is another good option that has a vibrant 16-inch screen with a Full HD resolution of 1920x1080p. The Grade-A display is quite vibrant and produces accurate colors that are decent for performing day to day tasks. It has built-in AMD Freesync, HDR support, and a 60Hz IPS display panel that can support various high graphic for gaming and animations. VIOTEK LinQ comes in with the 2 latest USB Type-C ports for faster connections which you can not easily find in this category of devices as of yet. It even has a 3.5mm headphone jack along with a mini HDMI port for connecting the monitor to external devices with ease.
The weight of this monitor is just 1.3 pounds and it is 9.4mm thick which makes it an easy travel companion because of its lightweight and slim design language. It comes with an attached cover that acts as both a screen protector for avoiding dust and scratches as well as a sturdy stand with which you can easily place the monitor on a tabletop at a convenient angle for usage.
The VIOTEK LinQ is a durable piece of the machine as it comes with a 3-year warranty for its display. The monitor has two variants to offer. One is the monitor which supports the touchscreen and the other doesn’t. Therefore you can opt for a budget-friendly non-touch option if you want to save some bucks or go full-on with the touch variant.
The price starts from $139 for the non-touch version which is not a bad deal.
- It is lightweight and handy.
- Comes with a screen protector as well as 3 cables for ease of connectivity.
- Has dual USB-Type C ports allowing for a fast connection.
- The all-in-one side button for manually adjusting the display/contrast/volume might feel inconvenient for some people.
- The speakers are not that loud which is a downside.
- You can get other portable monitors with touch capabilities for the price of the non-touch variant for this one.
[amazon box=”B07WJJMV48″ template=”vertical”]
Our Best Pick
There is no doubt that all these travel monitors on the list are the best ones that you can find, however, there is always the one that stands out among the crowd.
If you follow our suggestion, our best pick would be the Lenovo ThinkVision M14. There is no doubt about the fact that in terms of performance and quality, Lenovo would never let you down. The Lenovo ThinkVision M14 has all the specifications a traveler needs in a monitor to carry along with him or her.
Since this is compatible with the MacBook Pro, the combination of both these are going to rock your trips. You can boost your collaboration and on-the-go productivity with the ThinkVision M14 mobile display. The best part is that it is compatible with any device that has a Type-C port, so in case you own another laptop that is not a MacBook, you can attach it to that as well without any hassle. And about the Type-C port, you could always use the ThunderBolt 3 adapter to hook it up. We feel that having the ThinkVision M14, your work, be it a presentation or a random project, looks a lot better on it and it offers one of the best value for money out there in the market.
The ThinkVision M14 has a flexible design that allows you to work the way you want. With the ports on both the left and right sides, you can easily align your screen. The tilt angles are adjustable ranging from -5° to 90° along with an adjustable foot allowing you to change the height according to your liking. The best part is that the monitor comes in with a protective sleeve. You don’t have to care about any mishandling or breakage, it is in safe hands. The ergonomic design puts you in charge to control the viewing angle.
Besides, it’s so lightweight at only 1.3 lbs! Your days worrying about packing heavy are finally over. You can easily pack it in your travel bag and go anywhere worry-free. The ThinkVision M14 is the best travel monitor for MacBook Pro on our list. So what are you waiting for? Go and get one now!
Can I Hook Up An External Monitor To My MacBook Pro?
Yes, you can hook up an external monitor to a MacBook Pro. Before you set up the monitor to your MacBook Pro, you should know about the adaptor and cables needed to connect it. Some monitors can be plugged into your MacBook Pro via HDMI cable while others will require the USB-C cable. The latest versions of the MacBook Pro consist of Thunderbolt 3 ports. This is used to plug in your monitor using the type-C cable in the port.
How Do I Connect My MacBook To A Monitor Without HDMI?
To connect your MacBook to a monitor without HDMI, you can use a ThunderBolt 3 adapter. Just insert the adapter cable to the USB port of your MacBook and fix your HDMI cable to the adapter to connect your monitor. An HDMI cable or a single USB-C cable is required to set up a portable monitor for your MacBook Pro depending upon the model.
Are All Monitors Compatible With Mac?
Yes, nearly all monitors are compatible with Mac. There is a wide variety of travel monitors to choose from. You will need to have the correct adapters in case the monitor or your mac does come with the required ports. You can connect monitors to a Mac using VGA, DVI, HDMI, Mini hdmi DisplayPort, and Thunderbolt connections.
Do portable monitors for MacBook Pro worth buying?
The answer really depends on your needs and budget.
If you need a secondary monitor or if your current MacBook Pro screen size is too small (or even broken), then yes, it might be worth investing in a high-quality portable monitor for your laptop.